This IBM® Redbooks® publication describes the new features that have been added with the release of the IBM System Storage® SAN Volume Controller (SVC) and IBM System Storage Storwize® V7000 6.4.0 code, including Replication Family Services.
Replication Family Services refers to the various copy services available on the SVC and Storwize V7000 including IBM FlashCopy®, Metro Mirror and Global Mirror, Global Mirror with Change Volumes, Volume Mirroring, and Stretched Cluster Volume Mirroring. The details behind the theory and practice of these services are examined, and SAN design suggestions and troubleshooting tips are provided. Planning requirements, automating copy services processed, and fabric design are explained. Multiple examples including implementation and server integration are included, along with a discussion of software solutions and services that are based on Replication Family Services.
This book is intended for use by pre-sales and post-sales support, and storage administrators. Readers are expected to have an advanced knowledge of the SVC, Storwize V7000, and the SAN environment.
The following publications are useful resources that provide background information:
- Implementing the IBM System Storage SAN Volume Controller V6.3, SG24-7933
- Implementing the IBM Storwize V7000 V6.3, SG24-7938
- IBM SAN Volume Controller and Brocade Disaster Recovery Solutions for VMware, REDP-4626[
- IBM System Storage SAN Volume Controller Upgrade Path from Version 4.3.1 to 6.1, REDP-4716[
- Real-time Compression in SAN Volume Controller and Storwize V7000, REDP-4859
- SAN Volume Controller: Best Practices and Performance Guidelines, SG24-7521
- Implementing the Storwize V7000 and the IBM System Storage SAN32B-E4 Encryption Switch, SG24-7977